Happy New Year my loves! I hope you all rung in 2021 with lots of love and joy, and moreover I hope that this year is the full of happiness and good health for you and your loved ones.
The announcement I’m making today, for my first post of this new year, is one I’ve been waiting to make for a long time, and for a while didn’t think was going to happen. Ever since I’ve been a reader, I’ve almost never seen someone who looks like me in the books that I read. Moreover, ever since I wrote my piece about the first book I read by a South Asian author that captured so many pieces of myself I didn’t even realize I felt alone in, I’ve been thinking about what I could do to make a space for South Asian readers, authors, and reviewers like me to discuss these issues and provide visibility to our work.
Along with Sagarika from @sagarific on bookstagram, I am so delighted and proud to announce the South Asian Bookish Creators community and South Asian Bookish Creators Directory! Throughout our years as readers, bloggers, and bookstagrammers, we’ve noticed very few South Asian books, authors, and creators in the spotlight. We wanted to change this, and create a community of individuals who are passionate about highlighting the South Asian experience through the books they read, write, and share with the world. The goal of this project is to create a space where South Asians can come together and support each other, and also be the first to comment on literature and media that features us as main characters.
Now, for the exciting part! What does this project include, and who can be involved:
- South Asian Bookish Creators Directory
- Hosted on this blog, this will be a place for South Asian Bookish Creators (booktubers, bookstagrammers, bloggers, booktokers and of course authors and aspiring authors) to collectively make themselves known.
- South Asian Bookish Creators Discord
- Join our community Discord server! There are no requirements to join the discord – while we want to amplify a sense of South Asian community and camaraderie here, we welcome anyone interested in engaging with our ideas and listening to our voices. This will be our main means of communication across platforms and we encourage you to get on board. We will also be having our book club discussions on the server in the future, so don’t miss out!
- South Asian Book Club (Coming Soon!)
Make sure to follow both of us on bookstagram (@book.noted and @sagarific) to stay up to date on all the goings ons <3
Also, please consider sharing this to your South Asian friends, and others who are interested in hearing South Asian voices! Thank you so much ❣️